Navigation Menu
Second day of convoy to move evacuees

Second day of convoy to move evacuees



FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. — Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the fire situation in the Fort McMurray, Alta., area remains “unpredictable and dangerous.”


And Goodale says firefighters from other provinces are being brought in to spell off those who have been battling what he calls “this beast of a fire” for a week.


Speaking at a news conference in Regina on Saturday morning, Goodale also said the convoy moving people who have been taking shelter at oilsands work camps north of Fort McMurray would continue.


He said about 7,500 people were moved through Fort McMurray to the south on Friday and it was hoped the same number could be transported out of harms way on Saturday.


The exodus of the last evacuees remaining in the area comes as fire officials predict the area destroyed and being burned by the sprawling fire could double this weekend.


On Friday, shifting winds appeared to help move the growth of the inferno into a forested area away from the city, and Goodale says the forecast continues to call for dry and windy conditions.


Officials have stressed the wildfire that forced 80,000 people from their homes remained out of control and was likely to burn for weeks.


“The city of Fort McMurray is not safe to return to, and this will be true for a significant period of time,” said Premier Rachel Notley.


In all, more than 20,000 displaced residents had been living in oilsands work camps since Tuesday after the blaze cut the main road through Fort McMurray and sent residents fleeing either north or south.


Those who managed to escape south settled in hotels, campgrounds, with friends or at temporary reception centres. About 1,800 were being housed at the Northlands Expo Centre in Edmonton. Others went to Calgary.


They learned the government of Alberta would be giving them $1,250 for each adult —$500 for dependents — to cover their immediate needs while the Red Cross reported donations for victim relief have crossed the $30 million threshold. The federal government has promised to match those funds.


Evacuees also learned that RCMP caught the first — and so far only — looter in Fort McMurray. Mounties said a local man was arrested after they responded to a break and enter call. A police dog was used to track him down.


Then there were the stragglers. Officers admitted Friday they have been finding people in Fort McMurray who did not comply with the mandatory evacuation order.


One was an elderly man who was found in his home, with his dog. Patrols also came across a family of five, including three young children, who didn’t leave because they didn’t think they were in danger.


Mounties escorted them all out of town.


“People need to understand that evacuation orders are issued for a reason, and that not leaving puts them and emergency responders at unnecessary risk,” said RCMP Insp. Gibson Glavin.


Alberta is now under a provincewide fire ban. Notley urged people to stay out of the forests altogether, and the province ordered a ban on recreational use of off-highway vehicles.


By The Canadian Press



Source link

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SEARCH:


Ajax | Aurora | Concord | Etobicoke | Markham | Newmarket | North York | Richmond Hill | Scarborough | Stouffville | Thornhill | Toronto | Unionville | Vaughan | Whitby

Web Dev. & SEO by Profound Ideation Inc. SEO & Web Dev. Toronto Profound Ideation Inc. in Partnership with HolographicSEO