Police in north Scarborough are investigating a rash of 58 daytime residential break-ins that occurred over the past six weeks.
Here are seven ways to increase your home’s security:
1. If a stranger comes to your door, do not let him or her in, and always ask for ID;
2. Have monitored alarm and video surveillance systems installed and activated;
3. Keep a list of serial numbers for home electronics;
4. Don’t keep large amounts of jewelry or money at home (use a secured safe);
5. Make sure your front door is clearly visible to pedestrian traffic (if shielded by overgrown shrubbery, cut, trim or remove the overgrown shrubs or trees);
6. Consider installing lights controlled by a timer or motion detector (lighting can be a great security measure);
7. Make sure ladders, ropes or any other tool that would make it easier for someone to gain entry into your home are locked securely away.
Source: Toronto Police Service